Wednesday, February 13, 2008

My first day in Togo!

Well, I have way too much to say and not enough time, space, or energy to share it here. So, I'll hit you with a few bullet points.

-Andy and I arrived in Lome, Togo last night around 7 pm. My brother Bryan and his family greeted us at the airport and drove us to the Baptist conference center where we stayed the night.

-This morning we loaded up the van and drove the 5 hours to Bryan and Tracey's home. Let me take a moment to say this...I've seen all the movies of people driving through the streets of some African city dodging pedestrians, bicycles, and motorcycles carrying three people. It always seemed more like a video game than reality. It is a free for all! Missing cars, pedestrians, and motos by mere inches while negotiating the trucks that are over-loaded with garbage, tomato juice, or passengers was absolute madness. We killed a medium sized dog that walked onto the road and I was convinced we would get in a wreck at least three or four times. Thankfully my brother has been doing this for a while and we got here safely. Before we stepped into the car early this morning, we prayed for safety. After my experience today, I'll take those prayers more seriously.

-After we unloaded our stuff and got a quick bite to eat, Andy, Bryan, and I headed to the town of Tchipiou. It was about an hour drive and the road resembled the Dakar Rally more than your typical ministry stop. Bryan was doing some leadership training with four leaders from surrounding villages. Though I had no idea what they were saying, it was good to listen as these men shared the struggles and joys of ministry in their respective villages. (If you can't tell, my brother is the one on the far right in the picture below.)

-After the prayer time, Andy and I walked around the village taking pictures and shooting video. We saw chickens, pigs, guinea fowl, and goats. Best of all, though, we smiled and laughed with a few children. I can not begin to put in words how incredible this was. I wish I could describe the beauty in their eyes or the life in their smiles...it seems to betray the hell that many of them live in.  

I'll post more pictures tomorrow, but for now I need to sleep. Let me end by saying this...today was a good day! 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ice Cube's got nothing on you.

Anonymous said...

I don't want you to feel happy. have fun in africa. I need to see what Jen did.

Jen said...

Did Jones really say that?

It is very special for me to see you there.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are in for an incredible time there. And your Ice Cube quote made me get teary-eyed thinking about camping last summer.
Derran

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben,
Reading your blog and seeing the pictures only reaffirm that I need to return to Africa with Jen next year. I need to start working on that.

And you are right. NOTHING can prepare you for stepping off the plane and seeing how our African brothers and sisters live. I love the smiles of the people. They are a little timid but their smile can light up a room.Savor every moment you spend and return with new stories and experiences. God is smiling with you all.

Connie

Mark said...

Hey, I'm glad to see that everything's going so well over there. I hope your experience there runs deep.

Tara said...

When you said, "We saw chickens, pigs, guinea fowl, and goats." I though it said, "We saw chickens, guinea pigs and goats"...who knew that guinea pigs roamed the streets of Africa....wierd.

Anonymous said...

I will not hesitate to call you the Top Gun.
Aaron