Friday, February 15, 2008

Heat and Harmattan

This is how hot it is here. Before going to bed last night I took a cold shower. When I grabbed my towel (which had been sitting on my bed all day) it felt like it just came out of the dryer. It actually made me sweat. 

The "Harmattan" is a dry and dusty West African trade wind that blows dust from the Sahara toward the south. I've heard my brother complain about it before, and now I know why. It creates a very thick haze that decreases visibility to a few hundred yards. You can't see the mountains in the distance or tall buildings in the city. It's so thick you can even stare at the sun for a few seconds without it bothering your eyes. It's pretty remarkable. The obvious downside is that you breathe in equal parts oxygen and dust.

We head for the village for our overnight stay in a few hours. I'll post some pictures and reflections by Saturday afternoon. That will be my last post for a few days as we will head out to the village and then safari until Tuesday evening. I hope to have some great pictures for you by Tuesday afternoon. Until then...peace!

3 comments:

jocelyn said...

Hope your overnight trip is great! I love reading about your adventure and seeing great pictures.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful children!!! The pictures are great. And I love reading your blog. Maybe you can write a book someday about your experiences in ministry. That would be awesome as you do have a way with words.

Looks a little different than the pacific NW. Actually reminds me a little of West Texas. Ha!!!!

Be very careful as you spend the night in the village and treasure every moment that God gives you as you are soooooooo far away from us.
Connie

Just us 3 said...

Hey Bud,
I am glad to hear that you are having a great time in Africa! I want you to know that I think of you often! I loved being able to see you last month, and wish it could have been longer, but good still! Jess and I had a conversation about the northwest after leaving you guys. That is all it was for now, but just know that I wish we were closer. Have a good rest of the trip, and I love the pictures. Later brother!

Chris